Citing Sources: Why and When?
- Parent Category: Information Literacy
- Category: Engaging Sources
- Written by Ashley Squires, Ph. D.
The Purpose of Citing Sources:
- Citations protect the intellectual property of the people who originated the ideas, research, or information that you are using to build your case.
- Citations are allowing readers to track down the sources you used for your research in order to verify the credibility of your claims or begin conducting their own research on the topic you are writing about.
- Citations add credibility and authority to your writing. They make it apparent that you are informed about the topic.